Friday, April 18, 2014

Weekend Playlist: If I Could Build My Whole World Around You

This week's song spotlights one of the outstanding duos of Motown's heyday: Marvin Gaye and Tammie Terrell. During the couple of years during the late Sixties they recorded together they had numerous hits and performed live together on tour. If I Could Build My Whole World Around You would mark the third top 10 record for the duo and is (at least in my opinion) their best record. Unfortunately the partnership would not last very long as Terrell collapsed in Gaye's arms during a performance at Hampden Sydney College in October of 1967. Less that three years later she was dead at age 24 having succumbed to a brain tumor. Still, they made some wonderful music together and this has to be one of the finest examples of this outstanding pairing.


No comments: